That’s a tough question to answer for any parent. 

Because we all remember those grueling sessions of mathematics from our childhoods, right? Hours spent memorizing times tables for kids 'by heart'!

Very few parents have good memories associated with mathematics as a subject. And, I am no different.  

But indeed it is a subject that our kids need to learn… which means it is a subject I needed to teach them! Of course, I don't mean I sat my youngins down and started reciting, 'two ones are two.' 

No, I did the opposite. I went beyond pencil, paper, and memorization to teach the kids to have fun with math!

Here are some quick and easy strategies I learned that might help you teach your kids. Let's find out if we can turn them into mini mathematicians (ones who actually enjoy math!)

Children might respond better to learning numbers if you repeat them or pick them up by seeing you count the things around you. One method that works for one kid won't necessarily be suitable for another. Gauge each child's mind individually.

But once you start the counting games for kids, they'll be ready to learn some basic math principles. And they'll be adding and subtracting before you realise it!

Start with simple counting.

Teaching math starts with getting your child to know numbers. 

Fun math activities with daily objects also help you show your child that things don't need to be identical to be counted in math. Simply counting oranges is a great math lesson, but counting apples and watermelons together with them will expand their thought process. The child connects counting with multiple objects instead of abstract numbers of 1, 2, 3, etc.

Use everyday objects around you.

You have already got everything you need to start teaching math right at home. Start with everyday things like buttons, pennies, vegetables, fruits, toy cars.  Basic maths for kids becomes easy when you take physical objects to count, add, subtract, or even multiply!

But, the really cool math free games are the ones that come from your own imagination. 

Create a math scavenger hunt. Take a piece of chalk and scribble some numbers on the driveway. Then quiz your child with math questions where they have to answer by running towards the correct number. Build their basic counting skills using blocks or legos.

Maths can turn into an activity you enjoy together rather than an educational drill.​

Get them to bake cookies with you.

Play math games with them.

There are many fun math games available out there that can aid you in teaching math. Even adding dice teaches simple addition for kids. Or a game of Snakes and Ladders, even Monopoly, work well for some advanced addition and subtraction.

Yes, you read that right. Cookies make excellent (and delicious) teaching tools! 

Obviously, you can use the cookies you bake for basic counting. But baking a fresh batch is the perfect way to teach them fractions.

Children can learn how to cut a cookie into halves, fourths, and eighths using a plastic knife. Actually, visually seeing a fourth created makes an impression in a kid's mind and teaches them the need for using fractions.

Utilise those small cookie pieces to show your kid how to add and subtract fractions, i.e., 1/4 of the cookie + 1/4 of the cookie = 1/2 of the cookie. Place the pieces together so they get to see the half cookie.

When you use an abacus, your kids will also develop problem-solving skills. Because there's a specific logic behind using an abacus, so be sure you know exactly what group of numbers every colored bead represents to accurately teach your kids.

Make mathematics a daily activity.

Use in an Abacus

Even the tiniest of hands enjoy sliding the colorful abacus beads back and forth along the string. Invest in an abacus to help you teach addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to your kids.

Use math in your everyday routine. Help your kid learn the most from your math sessions by incorporating them into your regular activities while setting goals your kids can achieve.

When you stop at a red light, ask them how many blue cars do they see? 

Here's a list of a few math activities for kindergarten you can use to get them excited about actually using math.

How many boxes of cereal can we buy at the grocery store if we only have Rs. X?

How many people will be left in the doctor's waiting room when two are called in?

If we only finished 1/4 of the bread, how much will we have left?

On the highway, what number do we get when we add the numbers on a license plate ahead of us?

When you divide 100 rupees among two shops at the mall, how many rupees would each person get?

How many t-shirts did you put into the washing machine?

Start simple and start without making math problems for kids, and don't underestimate a child's ability to do maths.