When I was pregnant, I remember reading in a parenting book that during the first 10 years of life, sometimes a kid's learning is remarkably rapid. Some researchers refer to it as 'windows of opportunity' or 'critical periods.' 

As a language enthusiast, it particularly fascinated me that a child's language abilities start during the first year. During year two, a child's vocabulary can quadruple, a phase that experts refer to as 'vocabulary explosion.'

Almost 95% of the words a child learns are also observed in their parents' vocabulary. And parental engagement in learning improves their motivation and success. Once they reach an age where the best online English speaking course will help them further improve their language skills. 

Improve your child's vocabulary

And this got me thinking about how I could improve my kids' vocabulary. There's the obvious way to go, i.e., English speaking course online free. But, I also found that it's easy to integrate vocabulary development into our home life and everyday routine with some research. Help give your child a little head start in learning even as you enjoy quality time together as a family.

Here are our top suggestions for beginner English lessons for your kids:

1. Encourage your kid to ask about any new words they come across.

Take the time to explain a new word adequately when they ask you or enthusiastically find its meaning together if you don't know the word. Show interest and delight when they share new words with you. 

2. Talk constantly with them.

You don't need to talk about anything exciting. If you're at a loss, just describe something that happened when your child was at school. Or speak about your daily routine at home or even draw on previous family holidays and other past shared experiences.

3. Have two-way conversations with your kid.

Don't simply launch into a monologue when talking to them. Ensure your chats develop into meaningful conversations by asking your kid open-ended questions about how their own day has gone. Remember, nothing is too mundane to be shared! 

4. Never 'dumb down' your own vocabulary.

Use as vast a vocabulary as you can around them. Whether you use nouns for naming new or unusual objects or use adjectives to describe emotions, there is no need to 'dumb down' your own speech. Aim to talk to them as if you're talking to another adult. 

Improve your child's vocabulary

5. Put new words into context for them.

A new word that your kid encounters in a meaningful sentence (whether heard or read) is much easier (and way more fun!) for them to learn than the one they find isolated from spoken language or as part of some list. You can find several English online learning options that can help them, and you find words.

6. Place a word in multiple scenarios.

When you 'drop' a brand new word into a conversation, try to use it in several guises to help secure your children's understanding of it. Alternatively, you could offer up a usage example yourself and then ask them if they can think of one of their own.

7. Repeat, repeat, repeat words.

To learn a new word and for it to become embedded, your child needs to come across it more than once. Experts generally concur that a child has to hear any new word from 4 to 12 times before it gets committed to their long-term memory and fully affixed to their vocabulary.

8. But, don't just bombard your kid with too many new words at once!

Introduce a reasonable number of words at a time for the whole family to then use in everyday conversations as naturally as possible.

9. Encourage reading books.

Unsurprisingly, several studies show that kids who read a lot have broader vocabularies than the ones who don't. This is mainly because books tend to include a much more expansive array of words than we use in normal conversation.

10. Read aloud to them.

Even if they are your kid is a good reader, when you read aloud to them, it helps them access more complex texts than they'd be able to read independently. This, in turn, exposes them to far more challenging words and creates further opportunities for conversation between you.

11. Urge your kid to read stuff other than books.

New words can be learnt in many places. At home, a cereal box might introduce them to the word 'ingredients' and a vacuum cleaner handbook to the word 'metallic'. Don't overlook the merits of reading some magazines and newspapers or online content either.

12. Encourage your child to create stories.

If your kids enjoy telling stories, incorporating words they've learned recently into them will help their creativity and imagination. They'll feel proud if they realise how much they've learned.

A limited vocabulary means limited ways for expressing feelings, limited events you can describe, the number of the things you can identify! Not only understanding is limited, but also experience. 

An extensive vocabulary can help a child have a richer, more varied, and fulfilling life, which all parents want. Putting these methods into effect today will pay life-long dividends to your child.